Friday, November 20, 2009

Skin Rash from I.V.?

I was in the hospital the other day getting a colonstrphy (i know I spelt that wrong) anyways I had an IV in and it has left a bit of a rash on my arm that seems to be getting larger and larger. It doesn't hurt and it is not swollen; it is just an eye sore. I have applied lotion to it also to see if it will help, but I am unsure of it helping yet cause I just now put it on there. The rash has lasted about 4 days so far. Any ideas on what to do about it. It is on my left arm right under the joint (elbow). Not in the elbow just below it. Any help will be greatly appreciated.|||Could be a reaction to the sticking plaster used to hold the IV in place. Go back and see the doctor because 4 days seems quite a long time. An antihistamine cream might be helpful.|||Try a salt rub.|||It's probably from the adhesive on the dressing - go to your chmist and ask for anti histamine or soothing cream|||that space is called the acubital space. you ight have an allergic reaction to the type of tape they used while you were in hospital. i dont suggest that you out lotion on it though. go to the nearest drugstore and look for an anti-tich cream if its itchy. or you can call your doctors office and tell them you have rash on the IV site and you think that it may be a allergic reaction to the type of tape they used on you. Also, that the site is bigger over the days and you are getting a bit worried.|||I would bet a thousand dollars that you are just allergic to the adhesive on the tape used to hold the I.V. in place. Don't put salt rubs on it like someone else has mentioned. Your rash will heal up in a matter of days sometimes longer. Only go back to the doctor if you are running a fever.|||It's probably an allergy to tape. Sometimes you can request hypoallergenic paper tape in the future if that's what it is.





The pharmacy should have 1% hydrocortisone cream that may help.|||Sounds like an allergic reaction. Either from the antiseptic cleanser they use for IV insertion, tape, or plastic dressing applied after insertion. The fact that it is getting larger concerns me. I think I would have the doc look at it anyway. Sometimes IV sites can get infected. Do not put lotion or anything else on it until you see the doc. Those type of things may make the rash worse.Just keep the area clean and dry as much as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment