Monday, November 16, 2009

Scarlet fever? supervirus? skin rash?

i am a silent carrier of strep. in august i developed a strep rash on my lower back and my arms below the elbow. i went to the doc to see what i had. my strep titer was 2070 (the high is 125). i was pput on 2 weeks on penecillin. when i fished it my titer was down to 1030. she told me to see an allergist.





just saw the allergist on halloween, my rash has spread, and im sure my strep count is back up and i have scarlet fever. the allergist took 4 vials of blood and will be doing a biopsy on my skin. no one has been able to tell me whats going on with me, and im starting to get worried. do i risk organ failure? what do i have? thanks for your help....








emily|||First lets clarify a few things. Your strep titer is an indication of the level of your body's antibodies against strep. It is a measure of how effective your body is at fighting off strep at a subsequent exposure. A high titer means that your body has a lot of antibodies even at many dilutions.





That being said, strep is exquisitely sensitive to penicillin w/ 100% of all strains being killed by that particular drug. Scarlet fever does involve rashes like you were describing. I've never heard of skin biopsies for scarlet fever though. The treatment is as I described above. It really should resolve after a round of antibiotics.





I hope this helps.|||The skin rash page at the source below discusses strep rash and other skin rashes.





http://www.healthy-skincare. com

No comments:

Post a Comment