Saturday, April 24, 2010

Help with my dogs skin rash?

My dog has a rash on his belly, I believe it is an allergic reaction to grass (he is a lab mix and they often have allergies to grass) I was wondering if anyone knew of any over the counter remedies to help with the itching.|||Skin Works or Ivy Dry are both good topical applications. They both work well for hot spots too.





For any type of skin allergies though, you should treat from the inside as well as the outside. Do some research on supplements, such as Salmon Oil, that help with skin and coat condition. Your vet will be a good resource for that and shouldn't charge for a phone call.





Have you done any testing to see if switching his food might help? He may be allergic to any grain products in his food as well if you really do think it's grass causing this problem.





Hope your boy feels better soon!|||My dog also had a belly rash. When we went to the vet she said it was from allergies and from different rugs and carpets. If you go to the vet they can give you a spray that you use on their bellies and you will notice a difference in about a week!





Best of luck!!|||your dogs skin is probably just dry, if you wash him too much that can do it, but try going to a pet store and picking up some doggie lotion|||During the summer, my dog, who has never had any allergy problems, got very itchy feet. She was chewing on her feet all of the time and they were red between the toes. I called the vet and was told about Omega 3 supplements that help with itching and inflammation. The vet had a product in a bottle that you pumped onto their food or in the case of my dog, I put it in the palm of my hand and she licked it off my hand. Within a week, the itching went away and has not come back. I was totally amazed and very happy that I did not have to go the cortisone route. Call and ask the vet about Omega 3 supplements and itchy rashes and see what he says.|||My hairless dog was suffering from allergies %26amp; itching. I took him to my vet and was told to give him Benedryl, you may want to check with a vet on the dosage as it goes by their weight. I used the childrens Benedryl as it is not as strong as the adults.|||over the counter benadryl is suitable for dogs with allergies, call your vet for dosing amounts. My 50lb boxer gets 50mg of benadryl 3 times a day.





If the allergies are more than occasional you can have your vet prescribe a prescription antihistamine. I have used Atarax with my dog in the past and now she is on prednisone. The prednisone actually comes out cheaper than the benadryl. We get 30 pills for $18 and she only needs it every few days, one prescription usually lasts 2-3 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment